Days at the restaurant are long and the hours are kind of crazy. We open at 11:30, which means I am out of bed at 10:30 to shower and make it down stairs and into the car. More often than not we make it in just in time to adjust the thermostat, give the tables a quick dust, and to fill the water pitchers before our regulars arrive for lunch. The lunch rush doesn't really die down until 14:00 at which point I'm just a little peckish. With the restaurant nice and quiet it's the perfect time to dig into the stash of frozen fruit and make a round of smoothies that provide the perfect hit of sugar to make it through the last hour of service.
It feels silly to give you a recipe for a smoothie - but I will in any case.
Breakfast Bliss Smoothie (for 4)
1/2 cup of bran flakes (wierd, I know, but you won't notice them)
1 banana, frozen
1/2 cup of diced mango, frozen
1/2 cup of diced apple, frozen
1 cup of diced pineapple, frozen
1. Pour approximately 1 cup of warm water into the bottom of your blender jar and add the bran flakes.
2. Plunk in the rest of the fruit either in the listed order, or whatever order you see fit.
3. Blitz into delicious smoothness.
4. Pour into receptacles and consume.
1. This is also stellar with 2 tbsp of melted nut butter blitzed in.
2. Even better with 1 block of silken tofu - at which point in turns into a very sexy pudding.
3. For an extra hit of vitality add a 1/2" chunk of ginger.
4. Swap up the fruit with whatever you really want - mine is always frozen, but this works great with fresh produce.
5. Mint is also delicious.
6. Don't stop at fruit, cucmbers and celery make fun mystery back note flavours.